Tuesday, March 21, 2006

In Theaters this Summer: "The Elephant that Loved Me (and movies)"

After a desperate attempt at an intervention, Chuck and I have finally faced the elephant in the room. He has an addiction. It is watching movies. Yes, yes, I know, most everyone enjoys movies. What you don't understand is, the man HAS to watch a movie if we are at home. He can't just entertain himself by fiddling around the house like I do. If we have down time, he will spend hours searching for a movie to watch on the 500 channels of cable we have. It's driving me insane. So, I think I have found a solution to his problem.

After months of listening to my friends rave about Netflix, I finally gave in to the peer pressure as a last ditch effort to help my husband before I send him off to therapy. I signed up for the two week trial, which will surely turn into a subscription because I'm lazy and always forget to cancel things like these. As luck might have it, it's one of those that automatically signs you up if you don't cancel. Hooray!! (note: sarcasm) However, so far, I am impressed. If you've been living under a rock and don't know what Netflix is, let me fill you in with a little copy and paste...

About Netflix
Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX) is the world's largest online DVD movie rental service, offering more than 4 million members access to 55,000 titles. Our appeal and success are built on providing the most expansive selection of DVDs; an easy way to choose movies; and fast, free delivery.

Members have the choice of eight subscription plans, starting at $9.99 per month for unlimited rentals with one DVD out at a time. With the most popular plan of $17.99 a month, members rent as many DVDs as they want and keep them as long as they want, with three movies out at a time. Members enjoy fast and free delivery: We reach more than 90 percent of our members with generally one business-day delivery and provide free, prepaid return envelopes. With no commitments, members can cancel anytime. Our "no late fees, no due dates" online movie rental model has eliminated the hassle involved in choosing, renting and returning movies.


And if you would like to read this in it's entirety, go
here.

Basically what you do is create a "queue" (a list) of all the movies they have available that you would like to see. Their collection is actually pretty impressive since I haven't found a movie that they don't have, yet. You build your queue, ranking the movies from top priority to lowest. Based on the plan you sign up for, they send you those movies. As you return them, they send you the next available movie from your queue. It's pretty simple and they get them to you quickly, so it seems. Tonight we should have "Walk the Line" and "Good Night, and Good Luck" waiting for us. So our trial has begun.

As for Chuck and his addiction, I'm hoping that this will help us (him) cut back on his channel surfing. Because, seriously, I'm about to destroy the thing. Thank you everyone for all of your well wishes and support in helping us get through this troubled time. Somehow, I think we'll make it.

4 comments:

Muffy said...

Yay! Another one bites the dust. You will love it. You must be my friend. Send me a will you be my friend thing to my home e-mail or let me know what e-mail you subscribed under and I'll send you one.

Anonymous said...

lol.. We are all here to support you both through this difficult time. :)

Anonymous said...

You are going to LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Harrumph!! Will you bemy friend too?

I think you will like it - or at least your husband will.