Tuesday, March 14, 2006

**Note to self: Always be prepared to bust out some kung fu while at QuikTrip.

I stopped at a local gas station on my way to work this morning. I hadn't dropped Chase off yet so he was in the back seat as usual. It happened to be a little chilly here this morning so I hopped out, put the nozzle in the car and got back in. As I was digging through my purse, this crazy/high looking lady appears at my window out of nowhere. She motions for me to roll down my window so I did, just a little. (I'm not a complete fool. I was in RAYTOWN after all) She points in the opposite direction of the way I would be going after filling up and asks me "Are you going that way?" I just said "No, sorry". She stood there and stared at me for what was probably a full 30 seconds. Finally she blurted out, "I'm late for work and need a ride". I just told her that I was sorry, but I was late for work too and it was in the opposite direction, which was completely true. She pointed over to the gas pump and said, "Your gas is done." I glanced in my side mirror and could see that it obviously wasn't. Not to mention I could HEAR it running. I looked her right in the eye and firmly said, "No, not quite yet. Thank you though." So she, again, stood and stared at me. It was kind of like she was deciding what to do and she was trying to get me out of my car. I stared right back at her all the while feeling my blood start to boil. This was the first time I've ever felt the protect-your-child-at-all-costs urge so it was new to me but whoa. I would have ripped that lady's throat out. I mean, I was getting ANGRY. She finally walked off and started harassing someone else. As soon as she was a safe distance away though, I was out of there.

This has just got me reevaluating a lot of things. What would I truly have done if she made an aggressive move towards me? I assume I would have just driven off with the nozzle still in my car, after all, people do it accidentally all the time. What if she had caught me before I had gotten back into my car though? I've been trying to make light of the situation by convincing myself that I would have busted out some kung fu on the crazy lady but really I think this is something that will be bothering me for a while.

No comments: