Sunday, July 02, 2006

Evelyn Celeste Miller

A year ago today I heard the news that a beautiful little five year old girl had been abducted from her home in Iowa. She was missing and everyone feared the worst. Those fears were confirmed a short time later when her lifeless body was found. That innocent little girl was the niece of my friend, Brandi. As of today, Evelyn's killer...that monster is still among friends. He's still among his family. He still enjoys sunlight and a bed of his own choosing. He still walks free and enjoys whatever he calls his life.

Over the past year, I've watched as Brandi has dealt with the cruel things a murder victim's family goes through. I've seen all the disappointments in not arresting the murderer, all the hope and letdowns and the desperation to find some sort of closure and justice. I've watched all the guilt and what-ifs and self blame that good people torture themselves with. It's been heartwrenching. No one should have to endure this.

No matter what happens in the future though, it seems the biggest fear has been forgetting-forgetting what a beautiful innocent creature Evelyn was, forgetting her smile, her voice, her laugh and forgetting the special moments that they shared with her. Not to mention the fear of the public forgetting about her story...and that her killer is still free.

As I started to write this post, I wanted to find the words to make a difference. I wanted to say something bold and groundbreaking and somehow healing. I soon found that I don't have those words... but I do have words that help remember which will someday lead to healing.

Evelyn Celeste Miller was a beautiful five year old girl, that deserved so much more.


Evelyn in Brandi's wedding as she walked with the ringbearer.

Donations may be made to:
Evelyn Miller Memorial Fund
First Security Bank & Trust
809 Clark St., PO Box 577
Charles City, IA 50616

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tiff. I love the entry, it made me misty.