Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Now THAT kid has some timing!

Today was the big day. Chase started preschool. *sigh* I'm not going to go into the fact that he ALSO had to start big boy underwear today because his school doesn't allow pullups but really I'm ok with that because we weren't getting anywhere with them anyway but I did have to bring 50 pairs of underwear and shorts because the kid will just NOT tell us when he needs to use the dang potty even though I KNOW he's a genius and that he's just being stubborn. But like I said, I'm not going there.

Instead, let me tell you how our morning drop off went. Wait. FIRST let me tell you how I EXPECTED it to go.

EXPECTED VERSION:
I take Chase to his classroom and he throws a crying fit, grabs my legs, pees his pants, refuses to let go and I have to peel him off me to make a mad dash to my car. There I sit sobbing in the parking lot for an hour while I can see him at the window still crying and wanting me to take him home. I finally make it to work where I have to leave early because I just can't take the pain. I rush to pick him up, find him still bawling uncontrollably and we decide we will just have to homeschool. A little dramatic? Hell, no.

REALITY:
I took Chase to his classroom and he immediately takes off for the toys. He was very excited to see the other kids and smiled at his new teacher, Miss Leah. I dropped off his belongings and asked him if he was going to be a good boy for Miss Leah. He replies "Yes" and continues moving some beans that Miss Leah had set out for them to work with later in the morning from one bowl to another. I told him to give me a bye-bye hug and kiss and that I had to go to work. I thought to myself, "Ok, this is where it all starts." He hugged me, kissed me and went right back to the beans. At that point I found MYSELF getting a little teary. I was appalled at myself and quickly stood up to shake it off. Miss Leah must have noticed because she said to me so sweetly, "He'll be just fine, don't cry." I gulped, told her thank you and walked out of the classroom.

As I was walking up the stairs to leave a little boy stopped me and asked me who's mommy I was. I told him and then he said to me, "You look very beautiful today." It was so sweet, so genuine and so thoughtful that it caught me completely off guard. I almost didn't notice my heart breaking. It was just what I needed.

No comments: