Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ode to the Bird Whisperer

Last night we had a bit of drama in our front yard. Chase and I went outside to water the flowers and as I was happily spraying down my impatiens, Chase says, "Oh, Mama" and points. There was a tiny little baby bird just sitting there.



We got a good long look at him and then since I had no idea what to do with a baby bird, I told Chase not to touch him and I went back to watering. A few minutes go by and Chase says, "Oh, Mama, more birdies!" Sure enough, a whole nest of baby robins are in my front yard. Two were dead, sadly, but two had survived their fall from the tree. It had been a very windy day and the whole nest had just dumped these poor babies completely out of their warm little home.



By this time, I was full of guilt. I had to do something before a neighborhood cat came along and snatched up the other two. While I was standing there deciding what to do (and cursing Chuck for being at softball at the time), I saw a robin a few feet away from us with a worm in it's mouth. I thought that it might be the mommy robin so Chase and I went and sat on the porch. Sure enough, Big Mama came over and fed one of the babies. I felt like such a part of nature, right that second. Wild Kingdom in my front yard! Yeah, I don't bond with nature very often.

After leaving a nasty voice mail for Chuck, cursing him for not being home to do his manly duties, I do what any woman in my situation would do. I called my sister and had her make her husband come over to take care of it.

Within 30 minutes, Gary the Bird Whisperer had arrived. He knocked the upside down nest out of the tree and put the babies back in it.





Then he put them in a more secure part of the tree.






Meanwhile Big Mama watched from the neighbor's yard.



I took a peek at them this morning. They immediately chirped "Hello" at me. I even got another glance at Big Mama, who's still hanging around. I think we are all going to be just fine.

THANK YOU BIRD WHISPERER!

No comments: