Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!



Chuck and I recently stayed at The Elms Resort for a mini anniversary celebration. We did the spa thing, did dinner and had an overall good time...except for the haunting.

I was so exhausted that evening that when I fell asleep, I slept like a rock. The following weekend was when I found out that I was pregnant so I suppose that would have been the reason why. Anyway around 2:00 in the morning we began hearing some yelling. Loud yelling. Me being out of it, I only remember vaguely hearing the yelling but I never did wake up enough to remember what was being said. Chuck, however, remembers it vividly. Apparently, a man and a woman were yelling in a panic, "Everyone get out! Everyone get out!" The thing is, we heard nothing after that. Not a peep. So Chuck immediately assumed that we were being haunted and nothing was getting him out of bed. Approximately 30 minutes later, the knocking began. A steady knocking on one of the doors in the hall went on for a while and then silence. Chuck was pretty freaked out at that point so he tossed and turned the rest of the night.

The next morning he was telling me all this and I quickly wrote it off as some rowdy neighbors. While I firmly believe the existence of ghosts is possible, I've never encountered it myself so it's never been an answer to anything for me. As we were checking out however, I asked the lady at the front desk if she had ever heard of the hotel being haunted. She told me that she had never experienced anything herself but then she handed me an 8x10 laminated picture. It was a picture of a woman who was obviously in one of the guest rooms. It looked like a very ordinary picture. She was smiling at the camera and I just didn't see anything abnormal whatsoever until the television caught my eye. I wish I had a good way to describe this because just the sight of it sent chills up my spine. The television was obviously turned off but there was a definite image of a ghostly face on it. A ghostly screaming face. On the television. In the guest room. Ooooo, it still gives me the chills thinking of it.

So of course the first thing I did when I got home was googled The Elms and ghosts. It returned some very interesting results. The Elms website itself has this to say:

Over the years, the Elms has been said to be host to several spirits. The origin of these ghosts have been the source of many a 'spirited' discussion. While the hotel had seen two devastating fires, no fatalities had occurred. Rumors have persisted that one of the spirits was involved in one of the fires. The lap pool area supposedly entertains the spirit of a gambler involved with illegal activities during the speakeasy days of Prohibition. The housekeeping staff has a spiritual adviser in the form of a ghost wearing a 1920's style uniform. One thing everyone seems to agree on is the friendliness of the spirits. These gracious ghosts may act as spiritual guides to the next adventures that await the grand hotel.


The website Legends of America had this to say:

However, the Elms, like many historic hotels, is also said to play host to a couple of unearthly guests. The lap pool in the basement is said to be haunted by a man traced back to the hotel’s “speakeasy” days. During prohibition, the gangsters used to store their liquor and hold their all-night gambling parties in these blocked off rooms. The spirit is said to be that of man killed by the mob during one of these illegal drinking events.

Reportedly, on the third floor the hotel, staff and guests alike, have often seen a maid wearing a 1920s style uniform. Seemingly, she is extremely benevolent and only there to watch today’s housekeeping staff to ensure that they are doing their work correctly.

Another spirit is said to be that of a woman who walks through the hotel looking for her child. Distressed, she has been known to pull people’s hair or throw things across the room.

Both guests and staff report the feeling of an unearthly presence in several areas throughout the old hotel, as well as unexplained noises and the occasional glimpse at one of the three spirits.


Oh and for future reference yes, we were on the third floor.

So the jury is still out on whether we were actually haunted or not but it was still enough to give me the chills...and keep me away from the third floor next time we go.

No comments: